On Friday the 13th, we happily celebrated my son’s first birthday party. We had a small party to mark the occasion and a couple of super-simple DIY projects for decoration and party theme (Hungry Caterpillar). Remember to pin-it!
Balloons, Tape, Construction Paper, scissors
1. Inflate green balloons for the body and a large red one for the head. Also include a few smaller ones for the tip of the tail.
2. Secure to wall with tape and stagger to show a little squirmy movement.
3. Use construction paper for eyes and antennae.
Cost: Balloons $3.00 + Tape $1.00 + Construction Paper $1.00 = $5.00 for a super-cool decoration!
Cake mix, sugar-free icing, cupcake papers, cupcake pan, spatula, food coloring
1. Follow preparation instructions for cake mix.
2. Add cupcake papers to cupcake pan and add cake batter.
3. Follow baking instructions. After removing from oven, let totally cool (to avoid melting icing or tearing soft cupcakes apart).
4. Add food coloring to icing (green for body, red for face). Use sugar-free icing to avoid sugar shock or a sugar rush. Use a spatula to apply to cupcakes.
5. For the face, look in your refrigerator for items to use as eyes and antennae. I cut shapes out of a soft tortilla shell for eyes and cut the antennae out of lettuce.
Cost: Cake Mix $1.75 + Sugar Free Icing $1.75 + Cupcake Papers $2.00 = $5.50 for a cupcake caterpillar!
Total Party Cost: $10.50
Son’s excitement and enjoyment: Priceless!
Follow my Mommy Did It board on Pinterest for other simple DIY projects that I did and you can do too!